Each year REA provides scholarships to outstanding students in the George R. Brown School of Engineering. The REA Student Grants & Awards Committee will release the scholarship application forms in the Spring of 2016.
All scholarships are awarded at the REA/School of Engineering End-of-Year Picnic, at which the entire Rice community is invited to celebrate the achievements of the year. Over $100,000 in awards and scholarships are presented.
Questions regarding the REA Scholarship Program should be directed to the REA Grants & Awards Chair.
REA provides Merit Awards to outstanding Juniors and Seniors in the George R. Brown School of Engineering.
2016 Recipients for the Junior Awards are included below.
- Herbert Allen Outstanding Junior (1): Sarah Hooper
- Distinguished Juniors (2): Samantha Elliot and Philip Taffet
- Junior Merit Awards (8)
- Bioengineering: Tahir Malik
- Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering: Justin Trenor
- Civil & Environmental Engineering: Lori Ding
- Computational & Applied Mathematics: Xingfan Huang
- Computer Science: Bryce Willey
- Electrical & Computer Engineering: Senthil Natarajan
- Mechanical Engineering: Christopher Wentland
- Statistics: Jiao Sun
2016 Recipients for the Senior Awards are included below.
- Outstanding Senior (1): Shayu (Caroline) Zhu
- Distinguished Seniors (2): Courtney Hesse and John Michael Frullo
- Senior Merit Awards (9)
- Bioengineering: Baek Ho (Beko) Jang
- Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering: Seth Padmabandu
- Civil & Environmental Engineering: Junqing (Jackie) Zhao
- Computational & Applied Mathematics: Emily Meigs
- Computer Science: Xilin Liu
- Electrical & Computer Engineering: Zichao Wang
- Mechanical Engineering: Evan Karakolis
- Materials Science and NanoEngineering: Rachel Lim
- Statistics: Emily Burnett
Leadership, Research & Service Awards
REA provides four scholarships recognizing excellence in leadership, research, and international service. These scholarships are open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors in the School of Engineering.
Leadership Excellence Awards
Given to two undergraduate engineering students who have shown outstanding leadership at Rice.
Outstanding Leadership Excellence Award 2016: Isaac M. Phillips
Distinguished Leadership Excellence Award 2016: Michael Donatti and Christina Petlowany
Research Excellence Award
Given to an undergraduate engineering student who has performed outstanding academic research at Rice.
Outstanding Research Excellence Award 2016: Caleb Voss
Distinguished Research Excellence Award 2016: Eric Sung
International Service Award
Given to an undergraduate engineering student who has distinguished himself or herself through international service.
International Service Award 2016: Edgar Silva
Scholarships from other funding sources are selected by the respective engineering departments.
Scholarships at the Science and Engineering Fair of Houston
Through a long-standing partnership, REA provides alumni volunteers who serve as judges and scholarship interviewers at the Science and Engineering Fair of Houston and selects two high school students to receive $5000 scholarships to Rice. The scholarship winners are also invited to be recognized at the School of Engineering End-of-Year Picnic, hosted by REA. For further details, or to serve as an REA judge and help select the winners of the Rice scholarships, please visit our Education & Outreach page.