The Sallyport Award is presented by the Association of Rice Alumni (ARA) to an undergraduate degree candidate and/or graduate degree candidate who show great promise in carrying forth upon graduation the ARA’s mission of providing a continuing relationship between the university and its former students. The ARA recognizes individuals who have demonstrated one or more of the following:
- Campus Involvement: Displayed loyalty, spirit, and pride in the university through meaningful involvement in programs and activities
- Rice Connections: Fostered strong ties with classmates, faculty or other members of the Rice community beyond their college or department
- Community Engagement: Strengthened the bonds between Rice and the Houston community or other communities outside of Rice
Call for Nominations
Submit your nomination for the 2021 Sallyport Award by completing this form and uploading a brief letter of support by Sunday, April 4. Any current student, alumnus/a or member of faculty and staff may submit a nomination. Any student who graduates between December 2020 and August 2021 is eligible to receive this award. Please note: multiple nominations for a student are welcome and encouraged. If you plan to nominate yourself, at least one other person must submit a nomination on your behalf.
If you have any questions regarding the nomination process, please contact Alexa Schwartz, Assistant Director, Alumni Programs at 713-348-2856.
2020 Sallyport Award Recipients
Congratulations to the 2020 Sallyport Award winners, Ariana Engles and Alicia Mangubat-Medina! Read more about how these Owls have made a lasting impact on the Rice community and their continued work with Rice.
2020 Sallyport Award Selection Committee
- Alicia Burns-Wright ’08 (Co-Chair)
- David Mansouri ’07 (Co-Chair)
- Akin Bruce ’19
- Alejandro Chaoul Ph.D ’06
- Lyla Dong ’22
- Caity Hoover, Assistant Director, Student Engagement
- Hannah Hughes Ph.D. ’20
- Justin Raine ’18
- Alexa Schwartz, Assistant Director, Alumni Programs