It’s never too early to reach out to mentors on Sallyportal.org. Mentoring isn’t just for finding a job after graduation — it’s also for getting the most out of your Rice experience.
- What were you involved with on campus? At what point did you feel like you belonged at Rice, and why?
- What did you do your summer after your first year at Rice?
- How did you explore your career interests at Rice?
After meeting with a CCD advisor, find alumni in three different industries/careers that interest you and reach out to them via Sallyportal to talk about their career paths.
- How did you decide on your major?
- What was the most valuable course you took at Rice?
Make sure your interview skills and resume are good to go — find alumni in your industry of interest who are willing to do an informational interview, review your resume or discuss graduate school. You can also reach out to alumni at your internship site and set up coffee meetings.
- What was your graduate school experience like? What factors were important to you in choosing a graduate program?
- What kinds of internship opportunities should I be looking for?
Time to get more specific about your post-graduation goals! Reach out to alumni in your field or area of interest to see how you can have an edge in the graduate application or job search process.
- How do you market yourself and your Rice education in the job search process/workplace?
- What did you do to ensure success in your first job, or first year of graduate school?
- What do you wish you had done differently?
Realize the benefits of Sallyportal and receive tailored advice on a variety of academic and professional topics. You can also offer valuable guidance: select “Graduate or Professional School advice” under the ways you are able to offer mentoring so you can use your experience to help others understand the graduate school application process.
- How did you make the transition from graduate school to your current position?
- As a graduate student, how can I maximize my experience to be successful?
Sallyportal’s mentorship features work both ways for alumni. Give back to the Rice community by offering your wisdom and advice on career development to current students and other alumni. Grow your career by connecting with a mentor yourself! You can also search for and post alumni job opportunities, volunteer for professional development programs and more.
- What did you do to ensure success in your first job? What do you wish you had done differently?
- How can I “pivot” and explore other career options?
Use your personal and professional experiences to offer help and mentorship to Rice students and alumni by assisting with resume reviews, offering career and professional advice, volunteering as an OwlEdge Externship Host and more. You can also volunteer for professional development programs and take part in other opportunities.